Looking for a way to get your child excited about writing? Try this bath tub drawing board! It’s simple to set up and will motivate even the most reluctant writers. It’s also fun for kids who enjoy writing and drawing! This is a great way to get pre-writers interested in writing as well as a great way to get beginning writers to practice in a way they’ll think is just fun. Older kids might really like their own bath tub drawing board, too, because the possibilities of what you can do with it are endless!
Easy DIY Bath Tub Drawing Board
This bath time activity is part of the Wash and Learn series! This week I’m proud to introduce a new member in the collaboration, Train Up a Child! Be sure to click the links at the end of the post to see more early literacy bath activities by Bath Activities for Kids and Train Up a Child.
1. Wet the big sheet of craft foam in the bath water. It helps to wet the wall of the bath as well. Press the foam onto the wall. It will stick like a removable sticker!
2. Carefully pull away the bottom of the sheet of foam while you spray shaving cream all over it. This will help the shaving cream not to fall off into the tub while you’re squirting it on.
3. Press the foam back onto the wall and have your child smooth out the shaving cream over the foam.
4. Use a finger or the end of a thick-handled paint brush to write letters, words, or draw pictures in the foam. The bright color of the craft foam will show through.
5. To erase, simply smooth the foam again and start over!
My kids love writing in shaving cream, which we have done on a tray at the table many times, but they hate that the shaving cream gets all over their hands and they want to constantly wipe them off. The bath tub drawing board solves that problem entirely because each time they want to clean their hands, they simply dunk them into the bath water. Problem solved.
My kids absolutely loved writing and drawing on their Bath Tub Drawing Boards so I know this is an activity we will repeat often! It’s sensory play, it’s writing practice, and it’s bath time fun all in one!
To see a fun ABC Bath Game we did with our drawing boards, hop over to our sister site, In Lieu of Preschool.
This post may contain affiliate links.